SAFE DRIVING AND TRAVELING TIPS
The Utah Safety Council offers motorists the following safe driving and traveling tips:
- Do not drink and drive.
- Always wear your safety belt and buckle your children in an appropriate child safety seat or safety belt for their age and size. Always place children under 13 years of age in the back seat. Never place a rear-facing child restraint in front of a passenger side air bag.
- If the need arises to use your cell phone while behind the wheel, pull over. Don't text message or make and receive calls until you are no longer driving.
- Plan ahead. Have your vehicle inspected and tuned, allow plenty of travel time, and bring games and toys to keep children entertained. Fight fatigue by getting plenty of sleep prior to travel and take rest stops every 90 minutes.
- Slow down and drive the speed limit. Speeding continues to be the No. 1 contributing factor in fatal crashes.
- During bad weather, slow down and increase your following distance. Pull over and wait out the storm if necessary.
- Respect other travelers by keeping a safe following distance, merging correctly and using turn signals.
- Take extra precautions when traveling near large trucks and give them extra driving room. They have larger blind spots and take longer to slow down and stop.
For more information, or for other safety resources please visit www.utahsafetycouncil.org.